Friday, May 8, 2009
Twilight Lovers & Haters, Can't We All Just Get Along?
So WHAT you might ask is getting me off my duff to post??? WELL, CHECK IT OUT. We made some great friends in Hawaii, Mandy and Jake Kongaika, and Jake is an AMAZING musician. Serious, raw talent, all bias aside. Sort of a Jack Johnson/Coldplay vibe. I LOVE attending his concerts and he's seen a decent amount of success. I truly believe that for him its a matter of getting the word out, because once you hear it, you love it. So...onto Twilight. I read the books. I enjoyed them. I watched the movie. I enjoyed it. I don't fit into either the obsession or the loathe category. Believe it or not, there are people who fall in the middle. Mandy, on the other hand IS obsessed with Twilight (stay with me here). She's been suggesting Jake write a song for it. He's never read it and has been hesitant. She reminded him of a song he's written, but hadn't recorded that would be ABSOLUTELY perfect for a New Moon soundtrack. I'm talking PERFECT! You'll know what I'm talking about if you read the book. I was so excited when I heard him play it. So I've been pushing too because I believe New Moon is putting together its tracks right now. Might be a long shot, but Mandy sent the song to a head of an organization with some influence in the Twilight world (Twilight Moms). The lady LOVED it, despite getting requests like this all the time. Mesmerized was her word. Twi-Mom lady sent it on to her connections in the Meyer camp and we'll see. So here I am trying to create a buzz in my lil' circle and spread the song around and get opinions. So if you like the song, let me know... or post it on your own forum (FB, MySpace, blog, whatever). Its just a rough take right now, but it still rocks. Imagine it more intense and haunting. He's working on recording a prof. version right now. Check out his website too (its on my side bar). I know some of you in my circle are Twilight haters (Tawnya, Ollie) BUT Jake rocks and deserves a break, vampire style or not. So pump it up and have a listen!!!
A peek into our window
- Quincy says "Where's Avy? I dunno." She talks sooo much and she's so small (5th percentile) that is seems like she shouldn't be talking at all.
- She roams wildly during church and has become quite the scavenger approaching anyone with food. Its embarrasingly adorable!
- Quincy's vocab has exploded to include the words, "please, thank you, outside, sucker, candy, Avery, Grandpa, slide, ride, hold you, ni-night, water, bird, doggie, airplane, etc.....! She seems so little!
- One of the most "wow" things she has done is climb one of those HUGE blow-up slides and slide down REPEATEDLY, ALL BY HERSELF!!!
- Quincy (with great effort) threw the upper couch cushions on the floor and then proceeded to dive off couch, climb back up, repeat.
- She says"I want: cookie, go, this, that, drink, wa-wa, play." She also says no, baby, hello, bye-bye, and peek-a-boo. And of course she says "Mom and Da."
- Quincy talks a lot now. But first thing in the day and then 100 more times: "I want coo-kie." Very telling about her love affair with food.
- A day after being educated, Avery pulled down his pants and touched his boyhood saying, "Hey Grandma, these are my private parts." HA-larious!
- (After using the bathroom) "I made a waterfall. Then I made it stop."
- "Hey Dad. This is my [invisible] friend Caillou. Will you be a monster and scare us?"
- "Grandpa, what's in your belly?" says Avery. Mom says, "What do you think is in there?" "A baby?" guesses Avery. "Nope. Just lots of cherries," says Grandpa Schaefer. HAH!
- Quincy was crying in the middle of the night and Avery said, "Take a deep breath, Quincy." It was sweet.
- Quincy was screaming like a pterodactyl for Avery's food, so he snapped "Chill Out Quincy!"
- In Avery's first attempt at being a smart-a, he was playing with his friend Jaden Knight and we were asking the boys their full names. Avery responded that his name was Avery James Day. Might have had to be there.
- Avery still tries to stick his hand down my shirt. When I won't let him, he occasionally asks if he can stick his foot down my shirt instead.
- I told Avery that Heavenly Father lived in heaven. He thought I said he lived 'with Kevin', so in alarm he asked, "With Kevin and Melissa?!!!"
- Avery was out cold and we had to go. It was odd how I couldn't wake him, so I threw him over my shoulder and started heading out. All of the sudden with startling gusto, he yelled "I see Jesus." I thought he was a visionary, but turns out he woke up just as I walked past a picture of Christ.