Thursday, August 5, 2010

Exercise is a Four Letter Word

(b/c that is what I'd rather be doing.)

I have every excuse in the book not to exercise.

1. We can't afford fancy gym daycare.
2. Michael works a lot at 6 am and I'm not about to get up at 4. I like (understatement) sleep.
3. I'm exhausted at night. Plus, its the only family time we get, so I'm not interested in leaving to bust my butt.
4. I pee my pants. Thanks to birthing Avery, I have moderately severe incontinence. Like I can't run, or do the elliptical, or walk too fast, or jump, or laugh, or lift too much, or get scared, or blah, blah, blitty, blah . . . without inking myself. It sure discourages me from parts of life. But when I'm determined, I diaper up and change often. Cool.
5. I HATE exercise videos b/c I'm sadly a modern girl who needs music, a book, or a movie to muscle through an hour of torture. Sometimes I'll do them. :(
6. I worked out for MONTHS with ZERO results. I dieted for MONTHS with ZILCH shrinking. I have lost a few pounds with drastic measures, but I quickly gained the weight back. So now, I'll start up again for a few weeks and think this time will be different, but I soon lose motivation (not pounds). I still have hope something will work.


BUT, I laid in bed the other night praying and brainstorming, and here's what I got: Exercise bike. I did some research on how to get a good bike workout. AND there's no pee, no gym, and no restrictive schedule. Thank you Ollie for letting me borrow your bike while I figure out if it's worth a buy.
I'm doing 50 minutes daily of sweaty, sweaty cardio (incorporating intervals). And I'm doing Weight Watchers (again). After 3 days of diet and biking (drumroll) ............. I have gained 2 pounds. Sweet. And I'm having flashbacks of past efforts. But of course its much too early to give up. You skinny folk might not understand, but sometimes, for some people, its not simply a matter of cals in and cals out. Cross my fat heart.

6 comments:

tawnya said...

Sorry, Sum. That sincerely blows. I really liked our bike. I don't remember why we got rid of it...oh, yeah. It was seriously cutting in to my laying around time.

Summer's World said...

T-HA! Someday I firmly believe this weird weight nightmare will end. Till then, whatev. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't consistently try to LOSE weight, I'd be larging it in a double seated wheelchair!

The Robbins said...

Summer, you are the best ever! I was totally waiting for the *drumroll*, I lost two pounds! I'm sorry it went the other way. Sadly I am totally with you in that department. I love when you blog, your so entertaining! Sorry exercising hasn't gone well so far, but hopefully something will work and you can get motivated. I sure have none. :( Hang in there! And keep blogging (if for nothing else, to entertain me) :)

Jackie H said...

This made me miss you.

Brimaca said...

When I started my weight loss stuff almost two years ago (wow! been a long time) I had the same problem. I worked out and did WW for two months with no weight loss. I went to the Dr. and he said for women it often takes three months for our metabolism to change. Around three months the hard work started to pay off and I lost 2-3 lbs. a week until 65 lbs. was gone. I still needed to loose forty when I got preggo, but I plan to get right back on and hope that it doesn't take three months again since I still work out every day now. So sad you can't run, it's the fastest way to loose weight. I hope the bike works, it should. The RPM class at the gym boasts a 700 calorie per hour burn. I wanna try it too.

Summer's World said...

Mer-Thanks! I'm glad it entertains you, thanks :) Helps me see the humor in life too! I'll keep you posted if I find any safe but miraculous cure! But Mer, you look GREAT!

Jackie-Thanks! That's sweet. We could sure use a little Herrin up this way in our ever quirky ward!

Brittany-I've never heard that, but WOW! Thats sucks that it can take 3 months! I exercised reg. for 9 months with no results, BUT I wasn't dieting with it. And I've dieted for 2 months here and 2 there. Sheesh! Good for you that you hung in there and lost the weight!!! That's awesome. I needed to hear that so I keep going!

About Me

My photo
Logan, UT
So I used to think... I used to think it was my world. Maybe Michael thought it was his. But we have been re-educated. By a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It's their world. We live in it.

A peek into our window

Birth of Child #1

Birth of Child #1
He looked like a blue alien. Luckily it didn't stick. And thank goodness we didn't go with Michael's idea to name him based on what he looked like.

Birth of Child #2

Birth of Child #2
Much less eventful, thank goodness! She was born with red hair and 2 teeth... and skin colored skin!

Quincalicious!

  • Quincy says "Where's Avy? I dunno." She talks sooo much and she's so small (5th percentile) that is seems like she shouldn't be talking at all.
  • She roams wildly during church and has become quite the scavenger approaching anyone with food. Its embarrasingly adorable!
  • Quincy's vocab has exploded to include the words, "please, thank you, outside, sucker, candy, Avery, Grandpa, slide, ride, hold you, ni-night, water, bird, doggie, airplane, etc.....! She seems so little!
  • One of the most "wow" things she has done is climb one of those HUGE blow-up slides and slide down REPEATEDLY, ALL BY HERSELF!!!
  • Quincy (with great effort) threw the upper couch cushions on the floor and then proceeded to dive off couch, climb back up, repeat.
  • She says"I want: cookie, go, this, that, drink, wa-wa, play." She also says no, baby, hello, bye-bye, and peek-a-boo. And of course she says "Mom and Da."
  • Quincy talks a lot now. But first thing in the day and then 100 more times: "I want coo-kie." Very telling about her love affair with food.

AVERYISMS

  • A day after being educated, Avery pulled down his pants and touched his boyhood saying, "Hey Grandma, these are my private parts." HA-larious!
  • (After using the bathroom) "I made a waterfall. Then I made it stop."
  • "Hey Dad. This is my [invisible] friend Caillou. Will you be a monster and scare us?"
  • "Grandpa, what's in your belly?" says Avery. Mom says, "What do you think is in there?" "A baby?" guesses Avery. "Nope. Just lots of cherries," says Grandpa Schaefer. HAH!
  • Quincy was crying in the middle of the night and Avery said, "Take a deep breath, Quincy." It was sweet.
  • Quincy was screaming like a pterodactyl for Avery's food, so he snapped "Chill Out Quincy!"
  • In Avery's first attempt at being a smart-a, he was playing with his friend Jaden Knight and we were asking the boys their full names. Avery responded that his name was Avery James Day. Might have had to be there.
  • Avery still tries to stick his hand down my shirt. When I won't let him, he occasionally asks if he can stick his foot down my shirt instead.
  • I told Avery that Heavenly Father lived in heaven. He thought I said he lived 'with Kevin', so in alarm he asked, "With Kevin and Melissa?!!!"
  • Avery was out cold and we had to go. It was odd how I couldn't wake him, so I threw him over my shoulder and started heading out. All of the sudden with startling gusto, he yelled "I see Jesus." I thought he was a visionary, but turns out he woke up just as I walked past a picture of Christ.